In the northeastern part adjoining the Ngan creek that bounded the outskirts of Compostela town lays Barangay Tamia. “Tamia” was taken from the name of an old creek that passed across the center of the barangay

Based on the  research of an American author, H. Otley Bayer, this tract of land was once a part of one of the territories of the independent Mandayan Chieftaindoms that  thrived not only on the plain of entire Agusan Province, but also on its tributaries.

In 1930s, groups of Visayan immigrant from Negros, Cebu, Bohol and Leyte came in the place to settle and establish a homestead farm. The settlers of the place named it Upper Ngan.

During the outback of the Second World War in 1941, most of the settlers abandoned their farm to evacuate to a place where in they believed to be safe from the grim effect of war. After the Philippines Liberation from the Japanese occupation in 1945, the former settlers who evacuated from Tamia did not return. Another wave of migration from Visayan Island came and occupied the place, and they named it Upper Ngan.

In 1954, the Bureau of Lands launched an intensified land distribution program to accommodate the increasing number of farmers that congested in the agriculture sector. A public land subdivision survey was conducted to the classified exposable agricultural land areas to be distributed to the qualified farmers. The tract of land was subdivided into family size lots, excluding a six (6) hectares land which was reserved for barangay site where residential lots, streets, market, school, church and plaza were located.

A proposal was elevated to the Municipal Council of Compostela regarding the creation of a new barangay separated from Upper Ngan. The Municipal officials wrote a resolution addressed to the House of Congress through the Office of Governor Almendras requesting the creation of Barangay Tamia. Barangay Tamia was before a part of Barangay Mangayon. It was officially declared a separate barangay on May 15, 1956 through the initiative of one pioneer teacher, Mrs. Luisa O. Fuentes.

A market in the barangay was established in 1974 with an initial number of 5 stores. In the following year, Mindanao Rice Corporation (MINRICO) entered which adheres to develop rice production in the locality. In the same year, Davao del Norte Electric Cooperative (DANECO) energized the barangay. Three houses availed the lighting and power in connection to Valderrama Lumber Corporation.

In 1979, MINRICO was closed because it gained no profit at all. The land used by MINRICO was operated by farmers who in the long run became land owners.

In 1983, through the Philippine Government, National Irrigators Association (NIA) loaned 13 million (payable within 50 years) from the World Bank in order to finance the irrigation of rice production.

Compostela Plantation Incorporated (CPI) was established in 1987. The loan by NIA was received and the construction of the irrigation was undertaken in 1989. The operation of the irrigation began in 1991.

Subsequently, with regards to the successions of Barangay Captains in Barangay Tamia, their respective names are listed below

Barangay Captains:


  1. Tereso Paulo
  2.  Felipe Aguined
  3. Jesus Pernites
  4. Teotemo Villarin
  5. Alejandro Villarin
  6. Pedro Sienes
  7. Felizardo Martinez
  8. Alfredo Pitao
  9. Promencio Palmares
  10. Benecio Villanueva
  11. Treposo Galagar
  12. Guillermo Abarquez, Sr.
  13. Jaime Paulo, Sr.
  14. Elmer Remulta (Present)